Monday, March 31, 2008

Trust in the Lord with all your heart...

Last year I did something incredibly stupid.

We are very careful about what we allow our children to watch, and I started feeling guilty about our choices (read: deceived). I wanted my children to be "in touch with the culture". I didn't want them to feel "sheltered". I wanted them to exercise their "freedom in Christ".

"Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him." 1 John 2:15

I Tivo'd the MTV music video awards, and found a semi appropriate (in my mind) performance of Chris Brown and a singer named Rihanna. It was tame compared to most of what's out there (which isn't saying much at all) and featured pop lock dancing that Andrew just loves.

Rihanna was wearing a leotard with fishnet stockings during the performance. The first time I let the children watch the performance, Jasmine said, "Mom, why isn't she wearing any clothes?" I replied, "Oh, honey that's just a stage costume."

Chris Brown's part of the performance included a Michael Jackson imitation. Andrew said, "Mom, why is he touching himself like that?" I said, "Oh, he's just imitating a famous singer."

The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? Jeremiah 17:9

When I had effectively squelched my children's conscience, we watched the performance repeatedly and the kids learned some of the moves.

About a month later, my mom came to visit. I said, "Kids, do you want show grandma your dance?" Andrew replied, "Mom, I'm embarrassed to dance like that in front of Grandma." Ouch!

I asked the Lord to forgive me, and give my children wholesome opportunities for fun.

About a week later, there was an announcement at church about praise dance. Andrew and Jasmine have since danced in 3 God honoring performances.

A few weeks ago, I found this video on Kysha's blog. It is a singer named Coffey, singing a Christian version of the exact song Rihanna sang on that MTV performance.

Check it out:



Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your path." Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments: