Sunday, January 6, 2008

On Barack Obama...

Hmm... I don't know how this happened, but I've found myself defending a candidate who will likely not get my vote. It bothers me to see the e-mails floating around Christian circles that Obama is a Muslim candidate and that if he is elected president, the terrorists will have won.

Obama has stated that he is a Christian. I'm fairly certain that he and I have some different theological views, but I am not going to question this man's salvation.

James 4:12 comes to mind - There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you - who are you to judge your neighbor?

I read the book Obama wrote before he was a politician, and he was not raised Muslim. His biological father was a non-practicing African Muslim (meaning, he lived in Africa). Obama only saw him a handful of times.

Obama lived in Indonesia for a few years with his mom and step dad, who did not practice formal religion. The vast majority of Obama's formative years were spent living in Hawaii with his white grandparents, attending an upper class, predominately white, private school.

Now, I disagree with many of Obama's political views (though I'm glad he flip flopped on the national healthcare issue). But I don't think it serves us as Christians to participate in the spreading of false rumors. We need to make our decisions about candidates based on truth.

It surprises me to hear that people wonder how he even became a serious contender. That they are wondering if perhaps it is "because he is black."

Barack Obama is a Harvard graduate and a U.S. Senator, who pulled himself up by his boot straps. His daddy did not spoon feed him a political office. He is extremely intelligent, and has served the community for many years.

He is one of the few candidates who I believe to be exactly who he claims to be, and I am astounded by the grace with which he's handled attacks on his character. (I could take a lesson from him in that area.) He may not get my vote, but I think it's awesome that he's got Hillary shaking in her boots!

(Edited to add: I didn't mean for him to make her cry, lol. But I guess it helped her in the end.)

Now I hope this post didn't upset you too much, but if it did, stay tuned... We've been extremely busy, but I have some cute pics and an exciting (non controversial) announcement coming over the next week or two!

3 comments:

Tara B. said...

Just wanted to say I agree with you 100%! He wont get my vote most likely either, but for the first time in 15 years or so I watched the Democratic debates and have to say I was impressed with him!

Mo said...

He won't get my vote........I find myself wishing he were a conservative Republican! He is a product of his own making it looks like....it's called WORK. It can happen to anybody!!!!!

Carletta said...

I'm also wishing he was conservative.