Friday, August 17, 2007

Because this is MY blog...

And I can say what I want here, I want to share with you ladies something that is heavy on my heart. Something which I have been attacked for saying.

If you are not a Christian, you may think I've lost my mind. If you are a Christian who thinks I've lost my mind, I challenge you to read your Bible.

Many of us are struggling with our children's behavior. We do live in a toxic environment, and in some very rare instances, there is a medical issue involved. But in most cases, we need look no further than modern day, faulty parenting techniques.

There is something very wrong when kids can't leave the park without throwing screaming fits, when parents have to chase their kids to get them in the car, when we can't take them to the grocery store because they'll make us buy them things, when 8 year olds are having "meltdowns" because they can't have what they want.

My children are not perfect, so I say this without pride. My heart hurts for struggling mothers and their children. And to those of you I know personally, I cry for you. My greatest fear is that a generation will be lost.

Some modern day "experts" think they are smarter than God. These experts are asking, "Did God really say...?"

Well Yes, God has said, "Children obey your parents." (Ephesians 6:1)

And Yes, God has said, "Honor your father and mother." (Ephesians 6:2)

God has also said, "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace." (Hebrews 12:11)

Here is what else He has said.

Notice He did NOT say, "Parents please your children."

Nor did He say, "Win them over with your love."

I do not understand the current grace-based movement which twists scripture into a feel good parenting philosphy. Nor do I understand the move towards seeing physicians and psychologists regarding our children's behavior. They do not teach courses on biblical discipline in medical school. Unless these physicians have raised three or four children into godly adults, they have Nothing to offer me by way of advice on parenting.

"For our struggle is NOT against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." (Ephesians 6:12, emphasis mine)

As parents we are in a spiritual battle for our children's lives and souls. Previous generations seemed to understand this.

My mother once told me the story of when my uncle got caught stealing money from his brother. His mother, my sweet Granny, told my uncle she would NOT let him grow up to be a thief. She spanked him every single day for a week. (And don't let her sweet face fool you, my grandma could take down any rebellious young man.) When grandpa got home, he did his son the same favor. Do you think Grandpa took pleasure in spanking his little buddy? Of course not. Did Grandma want to see her little boy cry? No mother does.

Now if you think this post is about spanking, you are way off the mark. This post is about doing what it takes to save our children.

"Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." (1 Peter 5:8) Do you want the devil to devour your children? Do you want your children lost to a life of drugs and crime?

Stop focusing on your children's wants and focus on their needs. Forget self-esteem and build character in your children. Self-esteem is not a biblical concept. The Bible tells us to humble ourselves and esteem others. (Phillipians 2)

Put those parenting books down and open your Bibles. Read a chapter of Proverbs each day, if nothing else. Save your $10 co-pay and find a couple who has raised godly children to adulthood. Sit yourself at their feet and be prepared to take notes. Live with them for a week if you must.

Arm yourselves with the belt of Truth, the breastplate of Righteousness, the gospel of Peace, the shield of Faith, the helmet of Salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God (Ephesians 6:14-17).

Fast and pray. Get down on your knees and cry out to God.

Don't fall into bed at night exhausted because your children have harrassed you. Fall into bed exhausted because you've been fighting for their lives and souls. You are raising your children for the Lord.

I know there are some out there who disagree with me and will employ all manner of nastiness to keep me from speaking my views. If you post nasty comments here, they will be deleted. Re-read the title of this post. This is MY blog.

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand." Ephesians 6:13

For those of you who know and love me, I ask you to pray for me. There is a spirit of deception at work in our culture, and I feel the Lord is telling me to Stand.

7 comments:

Amy said...

Wow! All I have to say is AMEN!!!! This is sooo very true.

Jess Connell said...

Hello, friend from SL land (I was connellfamily/now am MakingHome over there)...

Anyway, I'd really like to link to this post from my own blog- would that be OK with you? If so, let me know either at my blog or at makinghome@pobox.com

Blessings and keep on standing!!!
Jess

Musings of a Housewife said...

Well said. And thank you for the reminder. All too often I don't want to "hurt" my kids and I try to avoid discipline. But I'm only hurting them in an eternal sense when I shirk my obligations. Great post.

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TulipGirl said...

"I do not understand the current grace-based movement which twists scripture into a feel good parenting philosphy."

I reject "feel good parenting" and embrace disciplining and discipling my children in the fear and admonition of the Lord. At the same time, we have come to focus primarily on the Gospel in parenting (which some refer to as "grace based"). We find that reaching our children's hearts and pointing them to their need for a Savior to be much superior to the behavior modification that is currently taught as "biblical" discipline.


"Nor do I understand the move towards seeing physicians and psychologists regarding our children's behavior. They do not teach courses on biblical discipline in medical school. Unless these physicians have raised three or four children into godly adults, they have Nothing to offer me by way of advice on parenting."

I agree--and disagree. More than one prominent teacher in the church has disrupted relationships with adult children and been found to teach his own ideas garbed in Christian terms. (Gary Ezzo comes to mind, among others.)

That said, as Christian mothers, we do need to continually encourage one another to look to the Lord, the author and finisher of our faith--and our children.

Grace and peace,

Carletta said...

Hi Tulip Girl! Thank you for your comments.

I agree with you that some teachers in the church are teaching their own ideas "garbed in Christian terms." That's why I look directly to the Word for information on how my children are to behave and how they should be disciplined.

I don't feel ANY parenting philosophy is "superior" to that which God has spelled out in His Word. Thus I also agree with you that we as mothers should encourage each other to look to the Lord and follow His instructions for raising our children.

Blessings,

Paula said...

WOW! Came over from Making It Home and am so glad I did! Two books that you will REALLY love (I have tried to buy a copy for each of my children as they need to be in their own home libraries):
The Parenting Of Champions by Lucas (unfortunately no longer in print) and The Marketing Of Evil (can't remember the author, but this is a pretty new book and still available). I too am going to link from my blog on Tuesday (link up day).